Rubies may be not be the first stone that comes to mind when thinking about an engagement ring, but they have a long history of symbolizing love, courage, passion and protection. If you're looking for a colorful stone, these fiery red gems with notes of purple are about as timelessly revered as you can get. Rubies, after all, were once the stones of ancient kings and queens, and who doesn't want to look down at their hand and feel like she rules the world?
Since a ruby's color is crimson, it pairs really well with more vintage settings and yellow or rose gold. That doesn't mean, though, that you're limited to dainty or alternative settings. Plenty of platinum and white gold more modern or classic settings (think: halo) go well with this fiery gemstone too. And if you're not fully committed to going for a red-hued center stone, rubies are a great accent to your diamond.
Of course, there's also the cost benefit of choosing a ruby. Like any gemstone, you're likely to get a lot more bang for your buck when going for a ruby engagement ring as opposed to a diamond one, even if you mix it with diamonds in a vintage or art deco setting. Whether it's Anna Sheffield's contemporary take on this tried-and-true gem, or Kwiat's diamond and ruby vintage-inspired piece, rubies offer as much variety as any other center stone.
See all of our favorite red-hued styles:
1. Attelage" marquise-cut ruby and diamond engagement ring
2. Ruby halo engagement ring in 18K yellow gold with seven rubies in graduating size
3. Oval-cut two-leaf ruby engagement ring in yellow gold
4. Ruby and diamond vintage engagement ring
5. "Charley" oval-cut ruby engagement ring in yellow gold
6. Custom cluster of Pigeon's Blood ruby, champagne diamond, natural pearls, and antique white diamonds, set in 14K yellow gold
7. Ruby and diamond cushion-cut halo engagement ring in yellow gold
8. "Napa Valley" round-cut vintage Edwardian era platinum ruby engagement ring
9. Tiny Rosette" round-cut ruby and diamond engagement ring in rose gold
10. "Samantha" emerald-cut ruby engagement ring in white gold
11. Two-tone diamond ring with ruby center in yellow and white gold
12. Hexagon ruby engagement ring in yellow gold
13. Round-cut ruby diamond engagement ring
14. Oval-cut halo ruby and diamond engagement ring
16. Diamond and ruby vintage engagement ring in 18K white gold
17. Master Diamond Collection "Aura" double-halo ring featuring an emerald-cut fancy deep pink diamond
If you need help picking a design we are always available! Email us at email@example.com for all requests and inquiries and we are happy to serve you the best.